For me, broccoli cheese soup is one of those quintessential childhood recipes that my mom always made. It’s quick, simple, and easy, which is a great combo now that I’m in college and have to cook for myself. Now that it’s fall I just had to make it (okay, we’ve had one weekend of weather below 70º, but I’m trying to be aspirational). This is also a recipe that goes great with my mom’s homemade bread — as you can see in the picture — but I’ll post that recipe another time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 – 3 cups fresh broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups fine noodles (fine egg noodles or Barilla’s fideo cut spaghetti work well)
- 1 1/2 cups Velveeta cheese, cubed into 1/2 inch chunks
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and onion to the Dutch oven. Sauté the onion until soft.
- Add the broth and broccoli to the onion. Bring the broth to a boil. Cover the Dutch oven and turn down to low and simmer for 10 minutes until broccoli begins to get tender.
- Add the milk and noodles and simmer over low heat for 10 more minutes until noodles are soft.
- Add the Velveeta, cover, and turn off the heat. Allow the soup to sit for 5 minutes. Remove lid and stir. All the cheese should be melted. Serve immediately.